Happy Humpday! Today, I’m kicking off the launch by starting a weekly Q&A series. This week, I’m answering questions that you guys asked me on my Ask me Anything Instagram story. I want to open up and share a little bit about myself so you can get to know me. Plus I’m excited about this series as it allows me to connect with you.
PS. I think the most fun question to answer was No. 11!
How did the name Swanky + Bold come about?
My mom and I came up with Swanky + Bold in January of 2016 as we began the company. We chose a name that gave off the lifestyle that we wanted to capture — one that is fashionable, daring, and strong. Swanky literally means “Stylishly Luxuriously” and we loved the ring the word had to it. And then the word bold has always been a key word in both my mom + my vocabulary, especially when describing our artist style but we also liked how the word has multiple meanings. On a more practical note, we wanted to have a name that was not defined by a certain industry, so that the name wouldn’t restrict the brand as if it organically evolved (which it has!).
How many countries have you traveled to?
To be honest, I had no idea until about five minutes ago, when I sat down and opened up google maps and started my list. It looks like I’m up to 28!
What’s your favorite travel destination?
It’s hard to choose because I’m drawn to different aspects of a place. If I had to choose just one, I think it would be Marrakech, Morocco. I just remember this feeling of wow throughout the whole trip, and the sense of adventure while wandering through the souks.
What is your favorite signature drink to serve?
Definitely a Gin + Tonic! I just love how simple they are yet how complex they can become.
Do you have a go-to dish?
Yes and no. I’d probably go with some sort of homemade pasta. If you’ve been following me on instagram, that would come as no surprise. However, if you were to ask me to make a recipe off the top of my head, I wouldn’t be able to do that. I’m always trying new things or making up some new combination of flavors.
Where do you get your fashion inspiration from?
Oooh. I love this one. I find that I tend to pull inspiration from many different places and industries. For example, in Copenhagen we have tons of colorful buildings lined up right next to each other and I love finding color inspiration from them and applying that to my style. I also love a good old fashion magazine, so I try to buy them at the grocery store at least once a month. And of course, Instagram and Pinterest are always a great place to look for visual inspiration.
Do you speak Danish?
We can call it a work in progress.
If you’re unfamiliar with the Danish language you should check this video out. Let’s just say, it’s not the easiest of languages to learn. But a girl can sure try.
So many to choose from — I probably should Marie Kondo my iPhone. If I were to have to pick the top 5 they would be:
- Facetime Living abroad can sometimes feel like I’m very far away so it’s nice being able to pick up the phone and video chat with my family and friends back in California.
- Procreate (though I do use this on my iPad Pro not my iPhone) My favorite drawing app. This is my go-to app when I’m designing something or have an idea in my head I just need to quickly sketch. I also use it for Moodboards adding in my own touch of paint strokes and blend modes.
- Tripit This app has saved my booty over the last few weeks. It’s an itinerary app that you link with your email and it pulls data from any confirmations you have booked and then creates an itinerary for you. There are also lots of features you can do on their site like adding in your google maps transportation route from specific locations and it even adds up the cost of all your flights and hotels which is nice for getting a sense at how much you’ve already spent.
- Things 3 I love that this task management app links to your google calendar, so at the top of my to-do list I can also see all my appointments and events.
- Notion This is a fairly new app that I’m using but absolutely loving it! It’s a productivity app geared towards note taking/databases/spreadsheets. The capabilities are quite endless.
Heels or Flats?
What inspired you to move from California to Denmark?
To make a long story short, my dad is originally from Denmark so having grown up in a Danish household, plus falling in love when I first visited at the age of 9 I decided that I would study abroad for a semester in college. And again, I fell in love with Copenhagen and four months just wasn’t enough so after I graduated I decided to move here for one year. Well at the start of that one year, I started dating my now-husband, making it almost three years since I moved here permanently.
What’s your favorite quirk about your husband?
Hehe. This one is fun and definitely had me thinking. So my husband is pretty into music but my favorite is when I catch him belting out a song and notice that he’s singing just slightly ahead of the lyrics. Subconsciously showing off that he knows them or doesn’t have much rhythm? I guess we’ll never know 😉 Now, you have to let me know what quirks your significant others have!
Where is your next travel destination?
Berlin and then so many more places for the next month. My mom + I leave Friday (in 2 days!!!) Check out our plan for the month here
Thanks so much for all of your questions! I hope you enjoyed getting to know me a little bit better. I’d love to get to know my readers, so feel free to comment something about yourself or send me a message!